Friday, April 4, 2008

...ooh, just a sec :)

Dear Family, Sorry about the long gap in communication. I also feel just a little weird posting on here without pics and am usually absentminded enough to forget the camera when I go somewhere cool. I took my camera to Jamaica but only took a few because I knew I had teammates who would share some with me when we got back.

I had an excellent time in Jamaica March 6-16! I was sick for the first 5 days or so, but I enjoyed seeing all my Jamaica family at one place at the Conference. It was nice to not have to run all over the country trying to find everyone--they were almost all there. I was especially excited to see my Mommi Viddi (who always gives me a great dancing hug! :), and my Maranatha kids! We spent the weekend at the Conference, then drove over to my home in the southwest corner of Jamaica...back in Ridge, St. Elizabeth and Maranatha School for the Deaf.

These were the four crazies that hung out together the whole time. Monica Unzicker (top), Boomer Bauman (right), Melanie Heatwole, and me.

Here are three of the Maranatha kids--JP is saying he loves you.
A unique photo op at a place known as the Giddy House. In a 1907 earthquake, this house was shaken a bit and part of it sunk down into the ground.
An incredible shot taken at Montego Bay by Monica.
Some others:
Beautiful evening


This is a shot from where we stayed our last night in Jamaica

Other things:
-Basketball season is well underway and we're having an awesome time in A-league this year. None of us ever want to go back to B. Last night we were ahead of the best team in the league until about 3/4 of the way through. We think we can beat them next time. :). I think we're 3 and 6. We could probably do a little better if we had more than 6 players, but I'm not making excuses--haha.

-My work at VMMissions has included helping to coordinate and promote Perspectives these last several months and I've enjoyed meeting many area pastors and "mission commission" leaders and groups. We are getting great response and expect a full first class beginning in August!

-We are very very excited about Martin, Sylvia, Elliot, and Julian moving in very soon!

-Easter with the Early Church was a beautiful time...fellowship, feetwashing, a community wide church vigil from 10 to 12, sleeping in sleeping bags up on EMU's hill (very cold!!), and a shivering sunrise service (it's fun singing and shivering at the same time).

-Betsy and I are in touch by letters (unlimited), email (limited), and a monthly Skype date (very limiting). She recently took a crazy adventurous trip with her teammates to Lesotho. Wish I could've been there. Here is a waterfall she got to see on a hike:
Love you all!
Philip

2 comments:

A said...

Good to hear what you're up to! I like that picture at the Giddy House. =) Thanks for your birthday wishes!

Anonymous said...

Your movements remind me of an old Beach Boys tune: "Round, round git around, I git around." Dad