Friday the first contingent of us (to use a Dad word) got out to the Kanagy cabin at about 230 pm. The adventure began earlier than expected when we came upon a humongous rock in the middle of the lane leading back to the cabin, making the way impassable. Jared, Diech, Bek and I got out and got to work, searching for good strong poles to try and get some leverage. Dietrich was the winner with the perfect pole. It had a little wedge shape on the end that meant we could really get down under the thing. After lots of grunting and teamwork, we finally got the thing up on end and rolled it over (I think I pulled something in my neck that I felt for the next couple of days, but I'm better now :). Next we did a little mud bogging to get through this slushy, snowy, muddy mess, and then we came around corner and there was the cabin. First order of business was getting all our stuff inside; second order was start a fire, so I got on that. It was cold out with a good layer of snow covering the ground in most places. It was really beauitful.
Martin, Sylvia, Elliot and David all showed up a few hours later, in time for the supper Diech and I got together...big Louisiana shrimp (some boiled, some in a shrimp alfredo), corn, salad, and chips.
In the evening some of us played Settlers and the others of us played Rook. I believe Martin took the former and Rebekah blew us all away as we tried to be competitive in the latter.
The next morning, Bek and Jared let us sleep in a while then cooked up some wonderful scrambled eggs and cut up some great fresh fruit.
Dietrich played gift distributer again like old times, but this time with fun wares from Spain. Gifts included chocolates, coffee, little airplanes and caps, a jersey, etc. Thanks Diech! We are glad to have him back not only because he carries good gifts :).
The afternoon found a group playing Settlers again while the three Rhodes brothers threw some baseball (most of the snow was gone by now, but not quite all...making it more interesting, of course; oh yeah, the facts that we only had 2 gloves between the three of us and that there was a river nearby also made things interesting! :). We all got together to play the crazy picture-drawing and describing game, then Martin and Sylvia told some stories about their traveling adventures a couple of years ago. Supper was by Martin and Sylvia: delicious stromboli and peas etc...
That evening everyone left but the three Rhodes brothers. We started the evening drinking coffee and catching up with our lives. Dietrich and I got up a short game of one-on-one soccer in the house. Playing in socks meant we were sliding all over the place and laughing. Martin laughed at us too. We also had a sliding contest across the living room and kitchen floor. After a supper of (very good) leftovers, we played three games of Settlers. The idea was that after Martin and Diech split the first two games, I was to have one last chance to win. But alas, just like had happened in the second game, I came up one resource card short of winning. grrrr... and Martin got another win. Fun times, though.
We're excited about Jared, Martin, Sylvia, Elliot, and Julian moving this way in a couple of months. More good times to be had!
in pictures:
-------
Preparing shrimp for the shrimp alfredo Diech is going to make.

A foreshadowing of the next post

Merry Christmas all!
Love,
Philip
1 comment:
It was a sussess. Good times were had by all.
Post a Comment