Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Some thoughts from this morning

Meditating on Luke 2:21-40, I wrote in my journal:
"I've always loved the story of Simeon. First, I love how much of a man of the Holy Spirit he is! It's exciting to see someone in a deep communion with God thru the Spirit long-term...
...he sees God's salvation, Jesus! I wonder if God didn't reveal it to Simeon more for the sake of Joseph and Mary than for himself (Simeon). They stood there and "marveled about what was said about him" (vs 33). What an awesome confirmation that this whole thing hasn't been some crazy trippin' dream they've been having. But we have confirmation for the doubting human mind in these: angels, shepherds, wise men, nature, Simeon, Anna, John the Baptist (leaping in the womb). We have confirmation audibly, visually, over time, from young and old...from poor and rich, from near and far, from learned and unlearned, from heaven and from earth. Joseph and Mary were just like anybody else, needing to hear God's voice in the midst of chaotic lives...needing reassurance. And Simeon's voice of deep Holy Spirit communion and conviction left them without any allusions as he echoed Mary's song and then added a strange blessing to it."

This week I've been putting Christmas gifts from Martin to use, enjoying some chocolate dipped in Honduran coffee, writing a letter to someone in South Africa with nice pens on good paper, and reading a book called "Brothers K." He is a giver of good gifts like both his fathers are. :)

Philip

2 comments:

Dietrich and Abigail said...

amen to that! i'm very excited to be seeing you in a couple of weeks - i'm ready for some good conversations and devotions over coffee! we've got some catching up to do eh? love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the gifts - I centainly enjoyed giving them. Thanks for the devotional!

-M